Stress vs Strain

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
ritalafaive

Stress vs Strain

Post by ritalafaive »

Hi. I listened to a podcast where Bernie mentioned a study by Dr Kao (sp?)... where the results were stressing the tissues about 3% and holding for time was the optimized situation for healing. I may have gotten some of the facts wrong which is why I am interested in getting a link/copy of the study. Any chance that is still available?

Have a great day,
Rita
Bernie

Re: Stress vs Strain

Post by Bernie »

Hi Rita

A 2015 study * was done to answer the question of how much stretch and for how long is optimal to reduce pain, increase range of motion and improve physiologic function of joints. Myofascial release (MFR) is a physical therapy using long-held, static stretches. It was employed to stress joints and was shown to reduce inflammation and improve healing response to injury.

The researchers found that a strain (elongation) of 3% held for 5 minutes is ideal. Stresses above that level, which created a strain of 9% or 12% (that is a lot!), can cause problems, but a stress resulting in only a 3% strain can accelerate healing. The longer the stress is applied the better. The lengths of time varied from 1 to 5 minutes. This, in our Yin Yoga context, means less effort and longer holds are better. The researchers concluded, “Longer duration of MFR resulted in rapid decreases in wound size.”

* Thanh V. Cao et al., “Duration and Magnitude of Myofascial Release in 3- Dimensional Bioengineered Tendons: Effects on Wound Healing,” The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 115.2 (2015): 72–82.

Cheers, Bernie
ritalafaive

Post by ritalafaive »

Thank you so much!

Happy Day,
Rita
Gustavo.Woltmann

Post by Gustavo.Woltmann »

Very informative.