Start the class standing

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
VictoriaGarino

Start the class standing

Post by VictoriaGarino »

Hi Bernie and all... hope you´re having a great day.

I was thinking about starting the class with a short meditation standing in tadasana, with the idea of grounding.
Then comming to a forward fold linke "hanging man" (I dont know the name in Yin Yoga) and then squat.

Its this ok? can we start a class standing?

thank you in advance!! Regards.
Bernie

Re: Start the class standing

Post by Bernie »

Hi Victoria

There are no "Yin Police" that will stop you from doing your class whatever way you like! As long as you have an intention that is valid, go for it! I often combine Dangling Pose with Squats, but both of these are rather challenging, so you may want to reduce the times to 2 minutes max and be ready to offer options for those who cannot do them. I will often repeat the sequence: Dangle, Squat, Dangle, Squat, then come to the floor. Again, 2 mins max in each position.

Cheers!
Bernie
VictoriaGarino

Post by VictoriaGarino »

Awesome!! I din´t know either that it was ok to repeat postures. =)

Thank you Bernie!! I´m loving this it is so creative and challenging.
best wishes!!!

Victoria.
toaster

Post by toaster »

Bernie, when you teach that kind of sequence, do you do any sort of opening meditation or go right into dangling?

I just posted a somewhat similar question in the Sequences thread, asking about creating a sequence that goes from up to down.
YogiBethC on FB, IG, and YouTube
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Yes, I always start each class with an opening meditation and centering period. I also end each class with shavasana. But, what goes in between those two can and does vary.

Cheers
Gustavo.Woltmann

Post by Gustavo.Woltmann »

I believe Shavasana at the end of a session really calms me and I am fully relaxed.