Cold showers

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Jenkdog45

Cold showers

Post by Jenkdog45 »

Hey Bernie. I am rereading your new volume of your yin yoga book. You reccomend waiting 30 minutes after waking before practicing and taking a shower beforehand. Is it ok or optimal to take a cold shower or just experiment? Anyways, I love your work. Thanks
Jason Jenkins
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Jenkdog! Hmmm....I don't recall saying take a cold shower before practicing, but I do recommend that most people wait at least 30 minutes after popping out of bed before practicing any form of yoga. This is to allow the spinal ligaments time to reduce the creep that happens when we are horizontal for 8+ hours. Being vertical will help reduce that creep, as will gentle standing movements. Showering is usually done standing so it will help but I don't think it matters whether the shower is warm or cold. As you suggest, experiment and see what works for you!

Cheers
Bernei
NursewitchieUK

Re: Cold showers

Post by NursewitchieUK »

I tend to do a short yin practice in bed after I’ve been awake and sat up for about half an hour. It fits in with the limited time I have before going to work and helps set me up for the day. This is before my shower, which is rarely (in England anyway) cold!!!! In these crazy COVID days I am spending much of my working day sat in front of a computer doing telephone consultations as we are seeing very few patients face to face. I do take regular screen breaks and have been found on the floor of my consulting room in various Yin postures or mid golden seed or mini sun salutation. This helps prevent me from taking refuge in rhythmically banging my head on hard objects!!!! 😖
Shine on
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

This is a time when yin is needed more than ever! Stay safe and thanks for all your online consultations with patients!
Zara

Post by Zara »

Personally I've been taking a cold shower every morning after my yoga session for a few weeks now. It gives me a good boost to start my day! I read somewhere that cold is good for the body and the immune system. What do you think about it :?:
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Yes, it is good to be cold once in a while, and to be hot once in a while. It is comfortable to never be cold or hot, but comfort often comes at the expense of health. Our body needs exercise (stress) in many different ways, just don't overdo it.

Cheers