Teaching Yin to student with atrial fibrillation

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
LisaRussell

Teaching Yin to student with atrial fibrillation

Post by LisaRussell »

Dear Bernie
Soon I will do a private class with a student who has just been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. She normally practices Bikram Yoga at the studio I work for but the doctor has suggested not to so now we will try Yin together instead. Do have any Yin-sights to offer when it comes to working with students with this condition? How should I approach the postures?
Best wishes
Lisa
Bernie

Yin Yoga and Atrial Fibrillation

Post by Bernie »

Hi Lisa

I am familiar with the condition called atrial fibrillation (let's call it AFib for short), as I have that too. Occasionally, my heart would start to beat irregularly and fast. This happened more often as I got older and it can interfere with exercise or exertion. Here is a brief definition from the Mayo Clinic:
  • Atrial fibrillation is an irregular and often rapid heart rate that can increase your risk of strokes, heart failure and other heart-related complications. During atrial fibrillation, the heart's two upper chambers (the atria) beat chaotically and irregularly - out of coordination with the two lower chambers (the ventricles) of the heart. Atrial fibrillation symptoms often include heart palpitations, shortness of breath and weakness. Episodes of atrial fibrillation may come and go, or you may develop atrial fibrillation that doesn't go away and may require treatment. Although atrial fibrillation itself usually isn't life-threatening, it is a serious medical condition that sometimes requires emergency treatment. A major concern with atrial fibrillation is the potential to develop blood clots within the upper chambers of the heart. These blood clots forming in the heart may circulate to other organs and lead to blocked blood flow (ischemia).
The main concern about AFib is blood clotting which could lead to a stroke, or light-headedness (from dropping blood pressure) causing fainting. I take a 81mg aspirin tablet daily as a blood thinner to prevent clots. I suspect your student will also be on that. I also take a beta blocker which has helped to prevent AFib, but does make me feel slowed down. It is harder to get the heart rate up during strong aerobic exercise; the peak heart is reduced.

I can understand why your student has been advised to avoid hot forms of yoga: it could put a lot of stress on the heart. I don't think you have to worry about that with Yin Yoga. It is not aerobic. It is floor based, so there is no risk of fainting. It is not aerobic, so there is low risk of triggering AFib. I have not found that my AFib or its treatment has impacted my Yin Yoga practice at all, nor has my Yin practice created any AFib symptoms. To be really safe, you may want to skip any inversions, but there are not many in Yin Yoga to begin with. (Personally, I have found Snail to be okay for me, but your student may avoid it.)

These suggestions are based on my experience, but every body is different. Your student should check with her cardiologist, but I would be very surprised if she was not “allowed, to do yin. Still, test it out...start with shorter holds and have your student check in and see how it is all going.

Good luck!
Bernie
LisaRussell

Post by LisaRussell »

Dear Bernie
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will do as you suggest. Shorter holds to begin with and avoid inversions. Do you think Child's Pose is ok?
Lisa
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Child's Pose should be fine, but of course--check in with your student to make sure.