Is it recommended to use bandages that cover eyes and ears?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
jorgel173

Is it recommended to use bandages that cover eyes and ears?

Post by jorgel173 »

Hi!
He wanted to know if it was advisable to use cotton bandages that cover eyes and ears during Yin Yoga poses. The question is whether you would favor recollection to enter Pratyahara and then Meditation. Of course, they would have to do few poses and hold them for 10 minutes or more during the session.
Someone already used it, could you tell me about your experiences?
Thank you!
George.
DDB

Post by DDB »

I find covering the eyes and ears during a yin yoga practice can be very beneficial. It promotes a greater inward focus which can lead to a deeper meditation or simply a greater focus on the sensations of the body and breath. I have brought clean bandages to classes for students who are familiar with the practice and wish to use them. The students can choose whether to use them so that anyone who is not comfortable with that practice can easily not opt in. Those who are wrapping their eyes and ears can lift the bandages when they need to see. I don't usually lengthen the time for holds in these classes, but I tend to hold poses from 5 to 10 minutes in any case.

Thank you for your post and suggestion.