ligaments

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
naura

ligaments

Post by naura »

I know a student who has a loose sacral ligament and that side of the pelvis is not able to maintain good alignment... (a great deal of pain resulting)

the person's chiropractor adjusts the hips so its pain free and suggests walking, gentle bike riding ..
the doc says no leg or ankle crossing, no asymmetry with stess, no straddle positions for 6-8 weeks ---The intent is for the ligaments can firm up around the sacrum before continuing practice

The Anusara teachers are disagreeing .. they say the student should do the lunges and asymmetrical back bends. (they are like walking)... and this will strengthen the pelvic muscles to support the sacrum...

(Anusara lunges or asymmetrical back bends have not helped the student after months of practice with the intent of getting stronger)

Are both correct in different situations?

Are there safe postures in yin that would facilitate the sacrum's restoration? Would saddle pose be good ?
How are forward bends? symmetrical back bends?

thank you
Bernie

Sacral instability

Post by Bernie »

I can imagine your student's frustration: so many people giving contradictory advice. I am not sure I should be adding to that list! Let's start with some basics though. If the ligaments supporting the sacrum have been weakened by being overly stretched, thus causing the sacroiliac joint to be hypermobile and unstable, there is no known way to help the ligament shorten faster. Over time these ligaments will slowly shrink. For this reason, I can see why the doctor is suggesting "do not stress that area! No doing postures that will stress these ligaments and prevent them from shrinking back to their original size., In this model, such advice makes sense.

On the other hand, many therapist suggest that when a ligament can't do its job, then we have to train and strengthen the muscles to take over. Strengthening the muscles may help to reduce hypermobility at the joint. But, stretching is not part of that equation: the intention is to stiffen the muscles crossing the pelvis. Walking can be part of this strengthening, as can some resistance training done with care and proper guidance (I would suggest McGill's Big 3 as well as some squats. But, I do so guardedly as I do not know your student. These may be exactly the wrong things for her.)

Could Yin Yoga help? Maybe, but Yin Yoga will put a tensile stress into these ligaments which is what the doctor didn't want. However, many therapists believe that in order to strengthen a ligament or tendon you must stress it and the only way to do that is via a tensile load. In my own view, if you never stress the ligaments, they will atrophy-yes, they will shorten over time but with no stress they will also become thinner and weaker. Yin Yoga could be used therapeutically to put enough stress into the area to help stress the ligaments, but don't overdo it so that they also lengthen.

There is no formula that can be given because every body is different! Your student will have to find a therapist she trusts and can work with over time. Test a little, see how it goes. If it doesn't work, try something else. Start slow but stress is the key! No stress -> atrophy. Too much stress -> degeneration. (See my article on Antifragility for the importance of stress.

Good luck finding that balance!
Cheers
Bernie