Yin Yoga, Rehabilitation and Arthritis?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Yulaw

Yin Yoga, Rehabilitation and Arthritis?

Post by Yulaw »

I have lost range of movement in my hips due to arthritis and knees and I am recovering from knee surgery in the left knee from a meniscus repair and I am soon to be in surgery for a meniscus repair and a stress fracture of the tibia for the right knee.

I use to train yoga (Hatha, Kriplau, Power, Yee) and tried to keep up the practice until the knees said no. I just started doing chair yoga to keep going with the practice.

After the next surgery, during recovery, could Yin Yoga be helpful in regaining some range of motion and assisting with knee rehabilitation, or would it be ro much.

Also should add I am now pushing 60.
If you truly want to be at peace, you must be at peace right now.
--Thich Nhat Hanh
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Yulaw

10 years ago you asked pretty much the same questions here on the Forum, and I don't think my advice to you has changed. Can I refer you back to what I replied here, here, and here.

The short summary of all these answers is - yes, Yin Yoga could be a part of your recovery program, but it depends. It depends upon the degree of your injuries, the success of the surgery, the recommendations of your surgeon and doctor, as well as how you practice. I would highly recommend you find a qualified Yin Yoga teacher who understands your condition and can tailor your practice for what you need.

Good luck!
Bernie