Yin Yoga and Blood Clots

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
YangYoga

Yin Yoga and Blood Clots

Post by YangYoga »

I have a student who has suffered from many blood clots because of a genetic defect, and she is asking me if I know the risks of this when practicing Yin.
I can't really find any good research on the subject, do any of you have an article or two that can enlighten me?
What are your thought on the matter?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

There was an earlier post on blood clots you may want to read.

Beyond that, what does her doctors say? You are not a doctor and there is no way for you to diagnose her situation. My own opinion is - Yin Yoga is probably safe because she won't be holding the poses any longer than being still when she sleeps or sits for a time watching tv or working at a computer. To be safe, perhaps start with shorter holds (1~2 minutes) and see how she feels. Overtime work towards 3 to 5 minutes. But again, first, ask her doctors.

Cheers
Bernie
YangYoga

Post by YangYoga »

Bernie wrote:There was an earlier post on blood clots you may want to read.

Beyond that, what does her doctors say? You are not a doctor and there is no way for you to diagnose her situation. My own opinion is - Yin Yoga is probably safe because she won't be holding the poses any longer than being still when she sleeps or sits for a time watching tv or working at a computer. To be safe, perhaps start with shorter holds (1~2 minutes) and see how she feels. Overtime work towards 3 to 5 minutes. But again, first, ask her doctors.

Cheers
Bernie
Thank you very much for reply. I agree I will never give medical advice and pretend I'm a doctor, I am just searching for resources. The post you mention I've already read, but it's sort of a different issue.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Well, if you do come across any definitive studies on Yin Yoga and clotting, please let us know. I have seen little in the field on this topic. You may have already seen this site where the topic is discussed a bit.

Good luck!
Bernie