New to the practice

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Cobb

New to the practice

Post by Cobb »

Hello all,

I am new to the yin practice and am looking for any suggestions on how to overcome the initial struggles I am facing. In particular, I cannot get out of my own head and continue to walk away from the mat. I have practiced more traditional westernized yoga for quite some time but have never attempted to maintain a pose for more than a minute or so. Meditation has never been a strong suit of mine which is why I decided to try Yin out. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bernie

Beginner's mind

Post by Bernie »

Hey Cobb...welcome to the yinside.

You know you better than anybody in the world. What has worked for you in the past?

Physically, many people need physical props to help them get into the pose. Psychically, it may be similar. Psychic props! If being present isn't your thing, start with some gentle distractions: music? Podcast? Colouring book? Netflix? You will get the physical benefits even if your mind is not fully present. But, over time, maybe work on being a bit more present for longer periods before reaching for the mental cushions.

Let us know how it goes and what works for you.

Good luck
Bernie