Which way to lay in Shavasana?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Bernie

Which way to lay in Shavasana?

Post by Bernie »

I recently received the following question:
  • Hi Bernie, My question is........
    my Yin teacher is always careful to line people up for shavasana with heads facing each other and feet facing each other. I have never experienced this lining up in any other yoga class. I asked her and other teachers why? Most have never heard of it and typically in yoga classes, including our Yin training we were lined up feet to head as are most shavasana sessions. My Yin teacher initially said she couldn't remember who taught her this or why, but shortly after came up with an answer about it being impolite to point your feet at someone's head. Which I have only heard reference to this in YTT as we sit on the floor facing our teacher, do not point feet at teacher.
    I wonder if we take in energy through our crown, would we be taking in the discarded energy from the persons feet pointing at our head?? and if so, is this a taking in of negative energy? I look forward to your response.
    Thankyou,
    R
Hi R...interesting question. I don't believe there is an energetic reason for arranging students head to head/feet to feet in shavasana (but I could make one up if you like). I too have heard that in many Asian countries pointing the soles of your feet at another person is impolite. I recall being in Thailand once and being warned, “If you ever see some money dropped on the ground, do not step on it. The money has a picture of the head of the king and it would be very improper to place your foot on his head., The foot is the lowest part of the body and very corrupt/unclean. The head is the most pure portion. Do not put your feet to someone's head! I was also told to be careful of how I sat in meetings: do not cross one leg over the opposite knee in a way that would point your foot towards someone else. Very bad manners., So, I can see a rational for what your teacher said. However, that was in an Asian culture. I am not sure we have to worry about that in the West. The disruption it creates to re-arrange students may not be worth the bother.

Cheers!
Bernie