More Name Variations for YIN Yoga Poses and the Rebound

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Lizadousson

More Name Variations for YIN Yoga Poses and the Rebound

Post by Lizadousson »

Greetings!

I'm wondering about other Teacher/Students experience with variations in naming YIN Yoga poses. I've had a month to peruse online offerings via Youtube because I broke my hand and so YIN Yoga has been more of an ally than ever of late and I got curious. There sure are a lot of offerings and I've been surprised, delighted, confused and curious in a variety of ways, but particularly about why classic names I started out with seem to be morphing and to what degree you're experiencing this too -- like "Key Hole" for the Reclining Swan modification done on the back (sometimes referred to as Figure 4 pose)...like "Melting Heart" for Full Quarter Dog. And then there are fusions people are having fun like "Tipsy Sphinx" for a combo of 1/2 Frog & Sphinx with a bit of twist.

I'm not a fundamentalist. I play too with poses and naming at times when I teach. But in training settings I choose to share poses with "original" nomenclature (aka Paul Grilley, Sarah Powers, Bernie). What do other YIN Yoga Teachers think? Bernie? Have I missed something in the ever evolving way of things? !

Also I appreciate thoughts on the word "REBOUND" to describe the "marination" period post a pose. To my ears rebound conjours up a more "Yang" brain after the quietude of holding a shape. In some Yoga or bodywork settings that word for me that physically leaned towards BOOMERANG...where we've taken the pose too far, or the client too far, and post pose we/they experience REBOUND in a negative way...meaning the body reverts to contracture. Thoughts on REBOUND?

I appreciate the opportunity to discuss here.
As a dedicated YIN Yoga practitioner and teacher -- with 11 years of offering in this method -- I continue to "peel the proverbial onion." Hope to share YIN Yoga wit you some time at a training, workshop, class or Festival. Namaste. Liza Dousson
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Liza

I hope your hand heals quickly!

Yes, there are many variations of names in the asana world, and it has ever been thus! Is Mountain Pose called Tadasana or Samasthiti? Yes, depending upon which Indian teacher you follow (Iyengar or Pattabhi Jois.) I have seen different names for the same pose (Bhekasana and Mandukasana for Frog) and different poses for the same name (there are several different Ardha Chandrasanas and Kurmasanas out there.) Not to mention the great variety of Sun Salutations! I would be hard pressed to claim any name is “the original,, but for Yin Yoga I tend to default to the names given by Paul Grilley in his book and by Sarah Powers (thus, I use her term Straddle rather than Dragonfly.) I guess the key is to make sure that students are not confused. As long as they are doing the postures you want them to do, whatever naming used is okay.

Regarding “rebound,...this is the term Paul Grilley is using to describe the after-effect of the postures. That's delicious sense of fragility and energy flowing after the stresses have ended. Thus, this is not the marinating phase of the pose, but the echo of the pose once you come out. Like all words, of course “rebound, could be interpreted in different ways, but if you stick to the intention behind Paul's use of the word, your students will probably tune into what you mean. If not, try “echo, or “release, or “relief,.

Cheers, Bernie
Lizadousson

Thanks Bernie...on names...and rebound

Post by Lizadousson »

Greetings Bernie -- Indeed about all kinds of variations in nomenclature for all Yoga poses and so now more often for YIN too. The confusion, along with language from restorative yoga fusing with YIN and vice versa, is something I notice...as a hmmmm in that evolution and languaging.

I too try to use names used by Paul and Sarah with dips into the pool here and there to include reference to some of the alternative names popping up in case people run into them. For me most recently it has been "Rolling Panda" for "thread the needle (with a bit of "gate pose" too as an option). I don't teach TTN (regardless of name) as a "classic YIN pose" but do sometimes include it when focusing on an upper body/meridian pathways thematic. Rolling Panda was a new one just this week...along with Broken Wing...and Tipsy Sphinx. :) Each of these target upper body/arms/torso ...and I have always appreciated one of your early videos on My Yoga Online (now GaiaTV) for the upper body given the meridian flow throughout the entire body.

And where have i been on that "rebound" thing?! Despite personal studies it was quite a long time ago with Paul G...?? Did I miss it in the DVD The Quiet Practice?? Somewhere else? And thanks for that distinction between rebound vs. marinating...

Warm regards Bernie,

Liza
As a dedicated YIN Yoga practitioner and teacher -- with 11 years of offering in this method -- I continue to "peel the proverbial onion." Hope to share YIN Yoga wit you some time at a training, workshop, class or Festival. Namaste. Liza Dousson
Lizadousson

PS on Rebound

Post by Lizadousson »

Good morn and a PS on rebound...I found Joe Barnett's 5 steps to YIN Yoga today when I searched YIN Yoga & "rebound"...during that time post a particular pose to feel and yes sometimes refer to that time as your "marination" timel...speaking of nomenclature... :) !! Thanks again Bernie for the chat here. Thanks for the Forum. Thanks for all the ways you appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JT2SVN7U-8
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

I am not sure when Paul started using the term "rebound" but it is a good description of that after pose feeling, that sense of fragility and the release of chi flooding back into the area that you just stressed.

Cheers
Bernie
ann-britt@sternfeldt.se

Re: More Name Variations for YIN Yoga Poses and the Rebound

Post by ann-britt@sternfeldt.se »

I have recently got to know about the concept rebound which I find very interesting. I have also followed a few online classes with you Bernie and heard how you mention rebound. But I got a bit confused when following yinyogaclasses where they put in yang positions in between, and when reading in your book you also say that downward dog could always be used in between. I understand that all people have their own preferences and that is fine, I don't have to do downward dog if I don't want to :-) but I wonder about the physical implications. A yinyoga posture for five minutes can be pretty intense on the tissues and for me it sounds and feel logical that the "rebound" aspect is there, so just to jump into a posture where you use muscle strenght...what is that doing to your tissues? I have no idea as this is a new area for me to discover.
Warm regards Anna
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Britt

Thanks for writing.

Every body is different. That's pretty obvious, but its implications are vast. It means that what works for one person may not work for another. If you feel that your body is really fragile when you finish a yin pose, lying still in a mini-shavasana and watching the "rebound" may be the best thing for you. But, for another person, their inner guidance is suggesting some movement in opposite direction is best. Personally, I love Down Dog after Dragons and Swan, but I will never insist that everyone must do this. Instead, as a teacher, I will offer several options and suggest the student learn which alternative works best for her body.

May I refer you to this article, "Creep and Counterposes"? There you will find more of the science behind why we feel so fragile after a long yin pose and the variety of ways (counterposes) that can ameliorate this feeling.

Cheers
Bernie
ann-britt@sternfeldt.se

Post by ann-britt@sternfeldt.se »

Thanks a lot! The article creep and counterposes was great and I will save and read it several times to have it all sink in.
Cheers Anna