diet suggestions

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
DanH

diet suggestions

Post by DanH »

paleo - vegetarian - vegan - macrobiotic - ???

was raised on a working farm as a vegetarian many, many years ago

have now been eating for several years: basic paleo, plenty of organic fruits and veggies and grass fed beef, plenty of "good" fats

small amount of sugar and carbs, no caffeine, tobacco, alcohol or drugs

started wondering...

any, "good science," practice complementing, diet suggestions?

cheers
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

I am not an expert in diet or nutrition, but I follow many Ayurvedic principles, given to me by my Ayurvedic guide, Nathalie Keiller. You may want to check out her website www.NatK.ca. She offers consultations via Skype, which may be very helpful for you.

Cheers
Berni
DanH

Post by DanH »

i follow a hacked version of paleo called bulletproof, google it. i've been playing with it for a couple years and like it a lot. but like everything else, do your version, mix and match, find out what does what for you, yoga, diet, whatever...
cheers
daniel
YogiBalance

Post by YogiBalance »

I also follow omnivorous diet similar to paleo diet but with intermittent fasting and a little bit more carbs then a lot of paleo followers eat for several years and it seems to be the easiest to follow because it includes all food sources, its accepted socially, IF instead of digesting food all day gives time to maintain it. Generally speaking, its highly recommend to try intermittent fasting - The IF version i follow is eating 2 meals inside an 8 hours eating window and 16 hours fasting afterwards - water can be drink in the fasting window. This kind of IF is pretty easy to implement in the modern life.
AnjaBuch

Post by AnjaBuch »

DanH wrote:i follow a hacked version of paleo called bulletproof, google it. i've been playing with it for a couple years and like it a lot. but like everything else, do your version, mix and match, find out what does what for you, yoga, diet, whatever...
cheers
daniel
Very good informations, i just looked it up. Gonna read deeper into it when iam back at home. Gonna figure out how to add my own mix to it. Thanks.
YogiBalance

Post by YogiBalance »

Just a little update, i follow the same diet i mentioned above (for the last 4 years) and it works the best for me (tried vegg/vegan diet in the past by the way). The change i made since a year ago is no longer doing intermittent fasting but eating 4 meals a day together with the addition of resistance band exercises (3 times resistance band exercises, 3 times yin yoga, a week, instead of doing only yin yoga everyday) because i wanted to start gaining weight and doing only yin yoga for a few months made me feel like i seriously need to add something "yang" and since then i gained 15 kilos (of muscle) and feel the best i ever felt in terms of shape and diet. Anyway, healthy omnivorous diet certainly works the best for me.
Liz A

Post by Liz A »

Just like our skeletons are unique I believe our digestive systems are too.
Some people thrive on a keto diet, some on a vegan diet, some on a Mediterranean ect. I think as our yoga practice develops we start to listen to our body more and respect what we put into it. My body does best on a low carb diet but my brother in law is thriving on a high carb vegan diet. The main thing is to eat real food and as ethical as possible IMHO.
Gustavo.Woltmann

Re: diet suggestions

Post by Gustavo.Woltmann »

I believe in eating small portions and often. The biggest mistake is starving yourself through out the day and then having no control over your food.