The order of things

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
jessofwight

The order of things

Post by jessofwight »

Hari Om

A question, or possibly a discussion topic if there is no right or wrong.

Most yoga texts - I've been doing some holiday reading - and indeed classes, seem to flow through an order of Asana, Pranayama, Meditation/Mindfulness.

I seem to find my home practice works better with Mediation, melting into Pranayama, and then asana - maybe reflecting that my asana work is relatively passive yin style for the most part.

I can see the classic thinking in asana and pranayama preparing the body for mediation, but I don't seem to have the need for an immediate preparation like that, at least not at this stage of mediation practice (may change?), however I recognise the need for A&P, both yin and yang, to be part of a balanced practice.

Am I hopelessly heretical? I would welcome any thoughts.
Bernie

The order of things

Post by Bernie »

I believe your intention has lead you into a viable process: I too prefer to start my morning practice with meditation and end with asanas. I know of other teachers, such as Sarah Powers, who also follow this sequence.

You may want to reverse the sequence if you practice later in the day: an evening practice of asana first, then some easy pranayama, ending with meditation is nice.

There are many maps and possible ways to practice yoga. In some ashrams and yoga centers, where there is a full day's work, pranayama is often left to the afternoon, asana in the morning and meditation several times per day. I don't believe that there is any one way that is "right" or works for everybody, so if you have found a path that works for you, why change?

Cheers
Bernie
jessofwight

Post by jessofwight »

thx :)