Carrying Angle article

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
toaster

Carrying Angle article

Post by toaster »

Bernie, that you so much for the carrying angle article in the latest newsletter! (I know it's a excerpt from your upper body book; I still need to get that one.)

I have never heard this term, but it makes a lot of sense to me. I believe I have a wider-than-average carrying angle. In the past I've sometimes thought I was being "lazy" by not being able to get my arms more straight when they are overhead (you can see an example in one of my YouTube videos - https://youtu.be/CLz8J1tB1sU?t=134) or I have blamed it on shoulder tightness. Although I do think the latter is a factor, I now believe it might be more to do with the angle of my forearms. It also explains why I prefer downward dog with my hands a bit wider than shoulder width.

As always Bernie, thank you for sharing your wisdom!
YogiBethC on FB, IG, and YouTube
Bernie

Re: Carrying Angle article

Post by Bernie »

Yes, your video does show the effects of your carrying angle. Notice how when your arms are down at your side, the hands are further away from your body than your elbows are and this continues as you elevate your hands. That is a clear indication of the carrying angle. And, that is okay! Thanks for sharing.
toaster

Re: Carrying Angle article

Post by toaster »

Yes, I feel more okay about it now that I know the reason - thank YOU Bernie! 🙏🏽
YogiBethC on FB, IG, and YouTube