Teaching Yin Yoga

Please use this forum for asking questions or offering comments arising from the 50-Hour Online Yin Yoga Teacher Training conducted by Bernie Clark, Diana Batts and Yoga International.
TrishTriggs

Teaching Yin Yoga

Post by TrishTriggs »

Hi, i was wondering what is the process for teaching Yin Yoga? I have no yoga teacher training but my passion is Yin and I would like to pursue this further in the form of eventually teaching to others. What courses/training do i need to complete in order to achieve this dream? If I complete the 50 hour Yin course is that enough or am I required to do the 200 hour yoga course as well? The other forms do not interest me like Yin does :) TIA
Bernie

Re: Teaching Yin Yoga

Post by Bernie »

Hi Trish

Your question is a good one, and one that gets asked from time to time. Rather than repeat all that has been said, perhaps I can point you to this thread. Let us know if you still have questions after reading it.

Cheers
Bernie
TrishTriggs

Post by TrishTriggs »

Thank you for your reply Bernie. I very much look forward to continuing my Yin Yoga journey with as many instructions as i can find from yourself. I have completed the 8 hr course of yours and i will be joining the 50 hour one commencing in March 2022 :)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

That's great, Trish. Keep on Yinning!
(and be prepared for many bad puns)
MQUnterborn

Post by MQUnterborn »

Good evening!
I have been asked to teach a 2 hour Yin Yoga class. How do I plan for that length of time? Any tips and tricks, thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you. Maureen
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hello Maureen

How delightful! To have a full 2 hours to luxuriate in yin-ness. There was a teacher who once lead a 12-hour yin class. You might get some ideas from him (check him out here.

There are lots of things you could do. Pick a theme: you have time to spend 45 minutes on the spine and 45 minutes on the hips. Do the first part of the class on spinal flexibility and the second half on hip mobility. You could work through the full list of 6 lower body meridians: start with the Kidneys/Urinary Bladder through backbends, then the liver/gall bladder with twists, side bends and external hip rotation, then the stomach/spleen through forward flexions. So many choices.

With that length of the time yinning you may want to end with some yang work to pull the body together. Try some counterposes like the McGill Big 3 to tone the core, or the Golden Seed to firm up the legs and hips. Remember, these counterposes are not to gain more flexibility, you have already done that, these are for stability, stiffness and strength.

Good luck
Bernie
MQUnterborn

Post by MQUnterborn »

Thank you so much for your help!
MQUnterborn

Post by MQUnterborn »

Good morning from Rochester, NY

Bernie, I taught the 2 hour Yin class yesterday (4/2/23). Thanks to your guidance, I planned a practice around the meridians with a focus on the liver and gallbladder. The owner of the studio attended the class and she said she loved it!! Thank goodness for that. :D So thank you.

I have another question. I struggle with what to say in the stillness. I set up the pose. I show some variations people may enjoy or need. I share about the principles of Yin, the purpose of Yin and its benefits. But then what? Am I suppose to be filling the silence or a least a certain amount of it? Any thoughts you could share? Thank you again. Maureen
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Silence is golden, Maureen. If you check back to the last day of the Yin Yoga TT, we talked about the various ways you can lead a class. While I tend to talk (a lot), Diana hardly says anything. Even though the teacher is silent, the students still have a constant dialogue in their heads. So, don't be afraid of quiet times. In fact, the subtitle of Paul Grilley's book on Yin Yoga is "outline of a quiet practice." And, even though I talk a lot, even I shut up towards the end of the class to allow the silence to grow. Teach the way that feels natural and authentic to you. There will be many students who will resonate with your style.

Cheers
Bernie
MQUnterborn

Post by MQUnterborn »

Thank you Bernie! It is what I hoped to hear. :)
I am still working my way through the YTT recordings. I am watching day 6 today. Loving it. <3
Maureen
MQUnterborn

Post by MQUnterborn »

Good morning
I am just finishing my Yin Yoga Teacher Training. I am interested in the Meditation Revealed class. This class was talked about during our training. Can you please remind me of the cost for anyone who completed Yin Yoga TT? Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Maureen,

You are correct, we are offering a discount for the recorded version of Mediation Revealed to all those who have taken our Yin Yoga course over the years. So there is a 40% discount to past YYTT participants, which brings the cost for this course to $376.95 US.

Cheers,
Nathalie