microcosmic orbit question from YinSights

This is the place to discuss the energetic aspects of Yin Yoga and its Daoist heritage
insightyin

microcosmic orbit question from YinSights

Post by insightyin »

I have been practicing the Microcosmic Orbit daily. I was wonder if there is any concerns if I change directions with the orbiting??? For example I play with inhale down the front and exhale up the back OR inhale up the front and exhale down the back OR inhale down the back and circle around pubis and exhale up to ajna. I like to feel the different directions of orbiting and was wondering the reason a specific direction is recommended?

Thank you so much
Bernie

The Microcosmic Orbit

Post by Bernie »

By all means, experiment, but do so with an intention. What are you trying to achieve? Or are you just exploring to see what might happen - in which case, some caution may be needed.

Traditionally, the direction of the microcosmit orbit is to raise jing energy up the back, which is through the Governor Vessel meridian, and draw it back down the front side of the body, through the Conception Vessel meridian. Vapour rises, water flows downward. The in-breath helps things to move up, the outbreath helps things to move down. Thus, we breath in as the energy rises and we breath out as the energy flows down. Moving the jing in this manner helps to maintain and restore it.

I personally have found that trying to move the energy up while exhaling is hard and not fruitful. Similarly, trying to draw the energy down while inhaling is more work and the energy doesn't flow as easily. The other option is to draw the energy up the front of the body on the inhalation, and down the backside on the exhalation, in effect reversing the direction of the orbit. But here again, my experience is a feeling of going backwards. This is drawing jing energy down the Governor Vessel and up the Conception Vessel, which intuitively seems wrong to me. However, for you, it may be okay. You'll have to check and see.

Just as there are cautions to practicing pranayama intensively without the guidance of a qualified teacher, there are warnings about going too deeply into energy movement in the Daoist practices without guidance. If one has a history of emotional or mental imbalances or challenges, these conditions could be made worse by incorrect practice. While it may be okay to experiment and explore moving of energy in a variety of ways, do pay attention. If you start to sense that you are not feeling well, or feel off-balance, dizzy, experience tingling, breathing problems, hot flashes, or any of many other maladies, you may want to stop and seek an experience guide.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Bernie
Adriana

Orbiting energy

Post by Adriana »

Hi Bernie! I'm new on this forum, actually never been in any forum :wink:
I'm a physical therapist in Mexico City and discovered yin yoga about 3 years ago, I have been doing yin yoga with a lot of my patients having wonderful results. I have read yinsights and the complete guide to Yin yoga and a have lots of questions. Can you explain orbiting energy please?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Adriana ...have you read the description in YinSights about the microcosmic orbit? It is here. Cheers! Bernie
Bernie

How to do the Microcosmic Orbit

Post by Bernie »

Here is a short video I created demonstrating and describing how to do the Microcosmic Orbit. Enjoy!