Opening chakras

This is the place to discuss the energetic aspects of Yin Yoga and its Daoist heritage
Checkerboard

Opening chakras

Post by Checkerboard »

A couple of years ago I used to do alot of Hatha Yoga and meditation. However after a while I was quite put off this whole idea of opening my chakras/awakening the Kundalini and achieveing metaphysical awakening. I prefered my practice to be more physical in nature. So I stopped Yoga altogether and took up Pilates.

Asd much as I like Pilates it does not provide the stretching and relaxation I got from doing Yoga. My question is can I do Yin Yoga as a more physical practice? Can I practice it daily without have to worry about my chakras being opened or any other metaphysical awakenings? I would like to just do the postures and no medication?

Is this possible or can you not seperate these elements?

Would appreciate any sort of reply.

Thanks
Bernie

Not all yoga need to involve chakra work

Post by Bernie »

The idea that yoga requires your chakras to open can be likened to the idea that you need a map to get where you are going. That may be true, but which map is best for you? If you plan to drive, a road map may be the best way to get to your destination. But if you are planning to hike, a road map may be less than ideal. Where on the road map are the campgrounds? Is the road network the quickest route for a hiker to follow?

There are many styles of yoga because they are many travellers, each with their own unique needs and destinations. You do not have to include chakra meditation in your yoga practice if that doesn't work for you.

Yin yoga and yang yogas can give you want you want. It sounds like you had a particular teacher with her/his favorite map and it just wasn't for you. Try another teacher. Yin Yoga can be very physical and challenging just by itself. So can almost all styles of Hatha yoga.

Think of it like this: yoga is simply a tool. What are you going to use the tool for? If your intention is to use the tool of yoga to opening your chakras, great! It will help you do that. However, if you simply want to use the tool of yoga to be healthier, stronger and more flexible, calmer, more relaxed and happier, great! It will also help you get there too. There are many (if not most!) teachers who will help you get what you want, and who don't use the chakra model of teaching.

It's all good!

Cheers
Bernie
Checkerboard

Post by Checkerboard »

Hi Bernie thank you very much for your post, with regard my teacher she said that apprantly I'm extremly sensitive to energy and thats why I was experiencing things so quickly. Normally it takes a long time for most people.

For me I'm just looking for a way to stretch and relax myself. If I can just do Yin Yoga postures ( No meditation) wihout opening my chakras then that suits me nicely. Meditation and other such things have no appeal to me.

Thank you again for your help