stimulating meridians - compression/tension

This is the place to discuss the energetic aspects of Yin Yoga and its Daoist heritage
yogaema

stimulating meridians - compression/tension

Post by yogaema »

Hello!
I have just been studying yin theory and practice on a teacher training here in Glasgow, Scotland, and a question came up that we were hoping you might have some insight into.

We were discussing how postures target meridians, and the fact that meridians can be targeted by both tension and compression - for example that both camel and caterpillar would stimulate the kidney meridian.

My question is - would there be any difference in the quality of the effect between stimulation via compression, and via tension?

Thank you so much in advance!

Ema
Bernie

Tension and compression can create stimulation of meridians

Post by Bernie »

Hi Ema

I am not trained in the Chinese Acupuncture theory, so can only comment from a Western science perspective. The effects of mechanotransduction, piezoelectricity and stress generated electrical potentials can all be created through either tension or compression. Think of bending a strip of metal downward: the top part of the curve is being stretched while the bottom part is compressed. This happens to our bones and fascia as well. The work of Helene Langevin and her teams studying acupuncture shows that these stresses distort the fascia matrix to which cells are attached. The stresses in the fascia deform the cells, which can be a mechanical signal to these cells, stimulating specific behaviour and activities. But, these physical stresses also create electric currents and potentials.

Additionally, compression can physically affect the whole organ in the same way that a sponge is wrung out. So, backbend can compress the kidney organs while also stimulating the Kidney meridians. Flexion would likewise stimulate the Kidney meridian even if it doesn't directly squeeze the kidney organs.

Cheers
Bernie