Nadi Shodhana

This is the place to discuss the energetic aspects of Yin Yoga and its Daoist heritage
ann-britt@sternfeldt.se

Nadi Shodhana

Post by ann-britt@sternfeldt.se »

I wonder why Nadi Shodhana should be done with the right hand? And why keep the second and third finger down, why no using them to close the left nostril? And why 8 or 12 times? Why not 5 or 7?
I am interested in the ideas behind this.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

If you are looking for a "logical" reason, I don't think you will find one. These are traditional directions. Sure, there will be some yogis saying that we start with the Ida open (the lunar channel) first, and use the dominant right (solar) hand, but I don't think there is a big difference, save maybe some placebo effect. (Which can be important!)

As for timing, repetitions, etc? Slower does seem better. I wrote this in Your Spine, Your Yoga:
  • IT'S IMPORTANT: Slowing the breath is better than deepening the breath
    We are all different, and our differences can affect the way we use our breath while in meditation or while doing our physical yoga practice. Lengthening the breath so that we breathe six times a minute improves our heart rate variability, turns off the “Flight or Fight, response (the sympathetic nervous system) and stimulates the “rest and digest, response (the parasympathetic nervous system). But this slower breath does not necessarily mean that the breath must be that much deeper! Due to a variety of complex chemical cascades, slow, shallow breathing may be much healthier for most of us than deep breathing (see the Web appendix “How yoga affects our blood chemistry, for the details). One good way to ensure the breath is slow but not necessarily deep is to breathe through the nose. This is done in most forms of pranayama practice, but one particular form has been specifically studied. It is called alternate nostril breathing, and it involves inhaling through the left nostril and exhaling through the right, then switching and breathing in through the right and out through left. Also called nadi shodhana, nadisudhi pranayama or anuloma viloma, this practice has been shown to reduce heart rate, breathing rate and diastolic blood pressure. Next time you are feeling anxious or a bit on edge, try it out-breathe slowly through the nose, and see whether it works for you.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Bernie
ann-britt@sternfeldt.se

Nadi Shodhana

Post by ann-britt@sternfeldt.se »

Thank you!
maze88

Post by maze88 »

Bernie wrote:If you are looking for a "logical" reason, I don't think you will find one. These are traditional directions. Sure, there will be some yogis saying that we start with the Ida open (the lunar channel) first, and use the dominant right (solar) hand, but I don't think there is a big difference, save maybe some placebo effect. (Which can be important!)

As for timing, repetitions, etc? Slower does seem better. I wrote this in Your Spine, Your Yoga:
  • IT'S IMPORTANT: Slowing the breath is better than deepening the breath
    We are all different, and our differences can affect the way we use our breath while in meditation or while doing our physical yoga practice. Lengthening the breath so that we breathe six times a minute improves our heart rate variability, turns off the “Flight or Fight, response (the sympathetic nervous system) and stimulates the “rest and digest, response (the parasympathetic nervous system). But this slower breath does not necessarily mean that the breath must be that much deeper! Due to a variety of complex chemical cascades, slow, shallow breathing may be much healthier for most of us than deep breathing (see the Web appendix “How yoga affects our blood chemistry, for the details). One good way to ensure the breath is slow but not necessarily deep is to breathe through the nose. This is done in most forms of pranayama practice, but one particular form has been specifically studied. It is called alternate nostril breathing, and it involves inhaling through the left nostril and exhaling through the right, then switching and breathing in through the right and out through left. Also called nadi shodhana, nadisudhi pranayama or anuloma viloma, this practice has been shown to reduce heart rate, breathing rate and diastolic blood pressure. Next time you are feeling anxious or a bit on edge, try it out-breathe slowly through the nose, and see whether it works for you.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Bernie
What are its benefits and when should it be practiced? Can i do it early in the morning just after waking up before freshup?