Yin efficiency on organs' balance

This is the place to discuss the energetic aspects of Yin Yoga and its Daoist heritage
laurence.cf

Yin efficiency on organs' balance

Post by laurence.cf »

Hi Bernie, there is a question I've been wondering about and couldn't yet find an answer neither in books nor on the web: how frequent should a yin practice be to really have an improving efficiency on our organs' health?
I am a "regular user" of TCM & acupuncture for myself and the link between yin yoga practice and meridians is absolutely relevant to me. However I can imagine that when we want to specifically improve the condition of an organ that is in a yin condition (deficient chi), we will need to repeat a targeted sequence regularly to really see its condition improve (just like an acupuncture treatment will need to be repeated several times)? I wonder how often and for how long? Do we have any studies on that question? I am aware it will depend on the severity of the condition of course but well, there must be a general range...?
Thanks for your kind attention. Laurence
Laurence
Bernie

How often to work the energy body?

Post by Bernie »

This is a good question, but I am not aware of any scientific studies specifically on Yin Yoga. So, I asked some friends who are more experienced in Chinese medical philosophy. Here is the first reply:
  • [This is] definitely a question I would answer specifically according to a combination of the condition and the client in front of me. I studied a classic form of Chinese medicine which I feel is so much deeper then tcm. So much was lost from the essence, the spirituality during the revolution in China. it's very different from tcm...in [TCM] acupuncture is done only once every 3 weeks. I know that other schools say that acupuncture is working on the body for about 5 days but of course this not exactly correct. Once you change a person's energy with acupuncture then there is change and a ripple effect. In practice though I find every 3 weeks is too far apart. Sometimes in very acute conditions once a day. For deficiency notice in your body How long you feel a boost. The same answer would apply with Yin yoga.
laurence.cf

Post by laurence.cf »

Thanks for this interesting answer. Maybe someone else can share on that topic?
Wishing you a fit & fun 2015.
Laurence
Laurence
Ckeenan

Post by Ckeenan »

Hello there, 

This is a great question! ...How often should we repeat a targeted sequence to improve the health of a Qi deficient organ....I think it is really difficult to say. Generally deficiency takes longer to treat then an condition of excess. As an acupuncturist I try and council my patients on lifestyle and nutritional choices to help balance their condition, so they are empowered to make changes in their lives to support their health and the acupuncture treatments. Acupuncture is a piece of the puzzle and not always the full picture. 

Yin yoga is a great practice for deficiency because it doesn't tax the system like other forms of exercise might. When you are being treated for a condition with acupuncture you may receive the exact same treatment once or twice but generally the practitioner treats what your concerns are at that time (of course keeping the root cause in mind)...are you fighting a cold, experiencing stomach upset, a bout of insomnia, a headache or maybe PMS....

I would think similar to how your acupuncture treatment ebbs and flows to meet your specific needs so should your yin practice. As far as receiving acupuncture everyday I don't think this is necessarily a negative thing especially if we are working with something acute and frequent treatments are often prescribed however if you have a chronic issue that you are working with it may be a little difficult to access the impact of the treatments if there is too short of a time frame between sessions. 

In other words, I don't really have the right answer and I am not sure there is one. I am keeping my eyes open for any studies on the subject and will let you know if I find anything. I suppose like everything it is relative and people improve faster or slower then others. The great thing about yin is that we have time to explore and investigate what we are feeling and how we are feeling in each posture to give us feedback and help us identify our needs with more clarity. 

I hope this helps!

:)
Cathy 
laurence.cf

Post by laurence.cf »

Hi Cathy, I saw your message only today, sorry for not acknowledging it earlier! Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion and knowledge, that's really interesting. And yes, if you hear or read anything related in the future, please tell us :-)).
Laurence
Laurence