Negative energy being released during asanas

This is the place to discuss the energetic aspects of Yin Yoga and its Daoist heritage
yogijeff

Negative energy being released during asanas

Post by yogijeff »

I have a student who experiences a mild sense of nausea during postures that involve forward bends ie sleeping swan,caterpillar, full butter fly. Though part way through the posture she feels a release and feels absolutely great while still in the same posture. This has been going on for a couple of weeks.

She absolutely assures me that she has not eaten for a couple of hours before class and is not compressing a full stomach. My instinct tells me that her body is storing some negative energy, whether its fear, anger, frustration, grief, and it is being activated and then released during the postures. Is there a correlation between the sense of nausea and emotions? Am I reading too much into this?

Has anyone had any previous experiences with students feeling this way?
Bernie

Yin Yoga and Nausea

Post by Bernie »

We did have a post earlier from a teacher asking about a student who had nausea while in Snail pose. This student was quite overweight and probably suffered high blood pressure. Your situation sounds quite different, but you could ask about her blood pressure.

If your student continuously feels nausea, she really should go see a professional health care provider to make sure there is nothing serious going on. If her doctor finds no pathology, then we can speculate that there is something in the practice affecting her.

The abdomen contains our "second brain" - the enteric nervous system. Connecting this brain to your higher up brain is the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve controls many aspects of our autonomic nervous system and when we stimulate it, as we do in our yoga practice, it can affect us in a variety of ways. She may over stimulating the vagus nerve through physical compression of the abdomen in her forward folds, or through compression of the meridians associated with the spleen and stomach. Nausea is associated with the stomach/spleen meridian lines, as is the emotion of worry (fear is usually associated with the Kidneys and anger with the Liver.)

However, there may be another potential cause: she says that she is not feeling compression in the belly in these poses and has not eaten, so maybe the problem is somewhere else. The vagus nerve gets its name from the Latin "wandering" - it wanders everywhere in the upper body, including as it descends from the head downward. Sometimes compression of the vagus nerve can come from the neck. Next time your student comes into these forward folds, ask her to experiment with holding her head up, rather than dropping it down. See if by not flexing the neck she avoids these sensations. She can try resting her head into her hands or onto a block or a bolster.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers
Bernie
yogijeff

Post by yogijeff »

thanx Bernie. Having my student raise her head worked like a charm. Thank you for your insight and suggestion. Now I have new tools in my toolbox when I have someone approach me with a similar situation. ~namaste