osteoporosis/poses

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
Frank

osteoporosis/poses

Post by Frank »

Hello, I've been reading here and elsewhere that forward bends are contraindicated for folks with osteoporosis and osteopenia. My question on the topic is - what about child pose where the belly is supported on the thighs and therefore the spine is supported? Also is there danger of the spine fracturing coming out of this pose with the spine long and muscles engaged or is the danger when we come out by rounding the vertabra one at a time and stacking them?
I've read that forward bends such as an inverted caterpillar are okay as the spine is supported and we're moving the legs rather than the torso.
Reclined spinal twists are contraindicated as well. There is a chance of fracture while trying to come out so I'll be encouraging the folks in the classes I lead to do seated spinal twists if they have either osteoporosis or osteopenia.
Any thoughts on the forward bend issue? For folks with osteoporosis/penia leave these out completely or okay to modify depending on the student and their particular situation? I'm not a fan of categorically saying "never" do this or "always" do that.
Thanks for any help in this matter. stay safe. Frank.
Bernie

Osteoporosis and Osteopenia

Post by Bernie »

Hi Frank ... thanks for raising this topic again.

As always, anyone with osteoporosis to any degree should check with their health care provider before beginning any yoga practice. It would also be a very good idea to know their Dexa score so they can tell their yoga teacher as well (a Dexa scan reveals the degree of degeneration in the lumbar spine, which is a good indicator of overall bone density.)

I have mentioned in the past, Dr Loren Fishman's upcoming book Yoga and Osteoporosis and his web site, http://www.sciatica.org. In his web site you will see that he has 12 recommended (yang) poses for people who want to i) avoid getting osteoporosis, ii) already have osteoporosis and iii) for folks who have the milder form, osteopenia. In the 12 postures, he does include twists and very mild forward folds (like down dog, of course modified greatly.)

As you said, never say never! It all depends on the person, the severity of the condition and what their health care provider says. But, to strengthen the bones, we do need to stress them. We just have to find out the appropriate way to do that. In Dr. Fishman's 12 posture sequence, he is using the muscle to apply the tension, which is perfectly okay since the poses are being held for a very short time. I believe (but have not seen any studies to verify this belief) that as the condition improves, or for people who have low Dexa scores, Yin Yoga can be equally or more effective at stressing the bones.

The most common sites for osteoporosis are the wrists (~10% of the time), the hips (~20%) and the lower back/lumbar (~50% of the time.) Standing poses are great for the legs, but that is not where most people have the problem. The standing poses in Dr Fishman's series also works the hips, which is great. But the spine may best be worked in a yin manner, like Sphinx pose, or a supported Caterpillar (try resting your arms/head on a chair), or - yes - even Child's Pose, which is a very gentle forward fold.

However, Caterpillar and Child's Pose are forward folds! The student's health care provider may suggest, to avoid any possibility of a "wedge fracture" of the vertebrae, that all forward bends should be eliminated for now. This would then includes Yin Yoga forward bends. A wedge fracture is where the vertebra gets thinner in the front of the spine, until eventually it fails and fractures. Since this is the front of the spine, forward bends put extra pressure onto the degenerating bone.

Default to very mild forms of the postures and make sure that these are not making matters worse. Then slowly start to increase the time in the poses and the intensity of the position. Go slow, but do try. Again, everything needs stress to stay healthy.

Cheers
Bernie
hannahhkelly

Post by hannahhkelly »

Thanks for the discussion on this topic. We should discuss more on this. I had come across a site while doing some research on it and want to share it with you all. Just have a look at it.

http://www.caring.com/questions/slow-os ... rough-diet