Frozen Shoulder

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
Bernie

Frozen Shoulder

Post by Bernie »

I recently received the following question:
  • Hi I have been diagnosed with frozen shoulder. I am an experienced yin teacher and I trained with you in May of 2020. I think I may have irritated the soft tissues with too many shoulders stretches and not enough strengthening as I only teach yin. Have you known this before? I am trying to move it abs studying ways to cut down the intense pain especially in bed. I have been studying and it looks like tendons don’t receive much blood supply. Would they receive more with more yin or yang activities? Is there any suggestions to help me with recovering more quickly from this?
Hello

There are many potential causes of a frozen shoulder. During the course we discussed only one: immobility. If you do not move your shoulder for weeks at a time, the joint tends to shrink wrap and range of motion is reduced. The cure for that cause is mobilization. Lots of slow, gently movements. Yin may help but motion is the lotion of life, so move it.

You do not mention how you developed your frozen shoulder. Without knowing that, it is hard and even dangerous to prescribe a solution for you. What does your doctor or therapist say? Maybe you have irritated the tissues, as you surmise, but I don’t see how that would result in the shoulder freezing up on you. Yes, it may be painful from too much stress, but not frozen. So, again, what is causing the restriction to motion? Inflammation, nerve damage, immobilization, muscle issues? This study suggests many other potential causes. Once you know the cause, then you can work on the solution.

Good luck!
Bernie