plantar Fascia

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
paulallaire

plantar Fascia

Post by paulallaire »

Hi,

I'm trying to find yoga poses that would help heal plantar fasiisis. I suspect that I created it by jogging. The strain as resulted into inflamation, therfore, the effect of having soar heals.

Thanks
Paul
Bernie

some ideas about Plantar Fasciitis

Post by Bernie »

Hi Paul ... thanks for asking about this in the forum. Firstly, as you know, I am not a doctor so you really want to be sure that whatever you do, you check with the professional already helping you out. Having said that, sometime the health care profession only looks at muscular exercises to help out this condition, which is good, but I believe they could do more.

Plantar Fasciitis can have many causes: the online American Family Physician (http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010201/467.html) has several causes listed, but definitely running too far, too often can be one of them. They cite "The pain is usually caused by collagen degeneration...The cause of the degeneration is repetitive microtears of the plantar fascia that overcome the body's ability to repair itself. " Well, collagen strengthening is a big part of Yin Yoga.

Many of their suggested actions are great (see http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010201/477ph.html for several suggestions), and they all revolve around strengthening the area; you can use several Yin Yoga poses to help too.

I would try these postures (to learn more about them, check out their descriptions in YinSights...just visit the tab to the left and you will find them in the detailed table of contents):

Toe stretch - hold for two minutes, then go to
Ankle stretch - hold for one minute, then repeat both of these one more time

These should help activate strengthening in the fascia of the feet. Also try

Squat - fold for two minutes (if the knees are ok) then go into
Dangling - for two more minutes, then repeat both once more
Overstepping Dragon - for two or three minutes followed by
Dragon splits - for one or two minutes

These postures will not affect the feet so much as the ankles and calves, but often it is tightness in these areas that lead to Plantar Fasciitis.

Paul, one other principle of Yin Yoga applies here: Yin is not restorative yoga...when the tissues are already damaged, it is not a good idea to stress them again. Let them heal, and then rebuild them slowly. So, I would not suggest you do any of the above postures until you have no pain at all when you try them.

Good luck, let us know how it goes or if you come across other suggestions that work for you.

cheers
Bernie
Bernie

Re: plantar Fascia

Post by Bernie »

As I understand the new views on plantar fasciitis, it is more properly called plantar fasciosis. The inflammation (itis) is not the cause of the problem but a result of the problem. I found this 2019 review interesting. They state towards the end,

• Although systematic reviews and meta-analyses have questioned the role of many therapeutic approaches (including foot orthoses) for chronic plantar fasciitis, this is not to say such treatments are ineffective. Arguably, it more likely reflects a limitation of research, which to date has largely compared various treatments without considering the mechanisms that underpin the development of plantar fasciitis, factors that moderate its progression or how these interact with pain and its persistence.

And this 2020 review suggests a couple of different treatments

• Platelet-rich plasma injections and therapeutic ultrasound are among a number of minimally invasive treatments that stimulate the body’s healing response

Finally, I wear shoes with zero heel and a wide toe box. This may also be helpful for some. (You can find the brand I wear here.)

I hope some of this helps.