Trembling legs - Hamstring stretch

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
Tove

Trembling legs - Hamstring stretch

Post by Tove »

Hi Bernie,
I have a question regarding trembling legs when stretching hamstrings in a shape of Supta Padangusthasana with a strap on the lifted leg.

Regards
Tove
Bernie

Re: Trembling legs - Hamstring stretch

Post by Bernie »

What is your question?
Tove

Post by Tove »

What could be potential causes? :)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Tove

1) What causes trembling for you? I don't know what is causing your reaction. It could be soooooo many things. You want some speculations? Muscles, when tired, sometimes spasm (tremble) or cramp. Also, if you over stretch the "stretch receptors" in a muscle, they may turn on to contract the muscles...this could happen spasmodically. If you have a deficiency of electrolytes in your system, it can happen. Not enough calcium in your diet could cause it. If you are tired, exhausted, stressed, it could happen. If you have a serious neurological disease, trembling could result. You could also be consuming too much caffeine. You could simply be a natural trembler and you got it from your father (or mother). So, it may be the nervous system, but it could be many other things too. Does it always happen, or only sometimes? If only sometimes, you may want to check what else is going on in your life: food, sleep, exercise, mental stresses, etc.

2) Is it good for you? What does your intuition tell you? Does it feel good to you? Is your body happy? For me, it is not a normal state of being, so I would personally not want to go to a point of trembling, but some exercise instructors try to push their clients' muscles to a state of ultimate fatigue: for them, they think it is good. But, they're your hamstrings…what do you think? If there is no pain, stay and see what happens, or...back off to the point where there is no shaking.

Cheers
Bernie
Tove

Post by Tove »

Thanks for your reply. It’s actually not a problem for me. I often see it in class while teaching and I wanted to hear your point of view since students often ask. My reply has been that there can be many different reasons giving examples of some of the ones that you mention.

So Thanx 🥰