Tense jaws

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
Leffes

Tense jaws

Post by Leffes »

Dear Bernie,

My jaws are very tensed. Is there a specific asana that will help loosening my jaw muscles?

Thank you,

Bas
Bernie

Re: Tense jaws

Post by Bernie »

Hi Bas

I do not know of any yin yoga postures that will help to reduce the tension in your jaw, but there are many suggestions for yoga in general that may help. For example, here is an article by Beth Spindler which you may find useful. She outlines several exercises.

Do you know why you have so much tension there? That may be a good place to start. Is it bio, psycho or socially related? Have you checked with your doctor? Knowing the cause of any problem helps to know what to do about it. Simply applying asanas or exercises may not give you the relief you crave as they may not address the underlying cause of the tension. Is the cause posturally related, due to nerve problems, a malalignment of your jaw, or ??? Investigate the cause, then prescribe a solution. (However, in the meantime, doing the exercises Beth suggests probably can't hurt.)

Good luck!
Bernie
Leffes

Post by Leffes »

Thank you Bernie for you quick reply.

I believe it has an emotional/psychological cause. It's hard for me to understand and explain from the mind but I think it's related to old pain coming to the surface and a part of me trying to control it. The energy builds up and seems to be stuck in my jaw. By meditating on it and also by means of asanas stressing the hips it bit by bit loosens, as do other tensed body parts correspondingly.

I'd be happy to hear you reply Bernie.

Thank you in advance.

Bas
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

General softening and relaxing techniques may be helpful.

Visualize or imagine the area relaxing, softening, melting like ice cream on a hot day. Attend to the sensations; noticing what relaxation feels like in the jaw, the lips, the tongue. Ride the exhalations to let go of everything you no longer need. Count slowly backwards from 10 to 1, noticing how with each count your face, jaw and throat are relaxing until when you reach 1, there is complete release and healing...

Cheers!
Leffes

Post by Leffes »

Thank you very much Bernie.