Tips for upcoming patellar stabilization surgery?

Check here for posts regarding knees and Yin Yoga
quirkyone

Tips for upcoming patellar stabilization surgery?

Post by quirkyone »

I've had bilateral patellar maltracking and generalized anterior knee pain since I was a kid (I'm pushing 40 now). I can live with some degree of pain, but I've also had four dislocations of my right knee that have finally earned me an MPFL reconstruction, Elmslie tibial tubercle transfer, and some meniscus/cartilage cleanup in the next month or two. I've had to give up a lot of normal activity in the past month since the last incident, but I've tried to keep up with as much of my yin and restorative practice as possible.

Since part of the surgery involves cutting and repositioning a section of bone and tendon with screws, the recovery is supposed to be rough, including up to 8 weeks with zero weight bearing. I'm working with my PT and my yin teacher to build flexibility and strength in my calves, quads, hamstrings, and hips ahead of time.

I'm curious what the return to yin was like for anyone who's faced a major knee surgery. It seems to me that a lot of the long yin holds would be very helpful in preventing the buildup of scar tissue and regaining ROM. Any thoughts on what might/might not help? Obviously I'm responsible enough to run any suggestions by my OS, PT, and yin teacher, but I'd like to gather as many ideas as possible.

Thanks in advance. :-)
Bernie

Post knee surgery yin?

Post by Bernie »

I hope your recovery goes well. You are wise to work with your physio to find the best way to full health. My own story is shared in this article. I found that sitting on the heels was magic for reducing swelling and regaining full range of motion ... but of course that developed over time. I also found one legged balancing postures really helpful and earthing is a good way to control chronic inflammation.

Along with your Yin Yoga practice, I am sure you will continue with your yang forms of exercise: we need both strength and mobility. Movement of the knee is important as is rebuilding the leg muscles strengths. I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts.

Good luck
Bernie
quirkyone

Post knee surgery yin -- thanks

Post by quirkyone »

Thanks for the reply. I've been mostly one-legged and immobile for the last month, hence my current focus on a very chill, floor-based practice. Given that it'll be at least a couple months before I can stand safely on the right leg, let alone bend it 90-degrees with weight bearing, I'm going to be rather yang-restricted for a while.

Do you have any suggestions for offloading shin pressure while sitting on the heels? I like the position for increasing flexion, but I'll have 2-3 screws at the top of my tibia that I've been told will keep me from kneeling. I'll definitely start it pre-op, though!

Thanks,
Chris
Bernie

reducing pressure on the knees

Post by Bernie »

If the screws are right near the top of the tibia, you could try arranging folded blankets so that the shins are on the blanket, but the top of the tibia is floating just off the edge --- so that there is no weight or pressure on the screws.

Not as good an option is to do this upside down: lying on your back, pull the shins in towards you. This posture, apanasana, won't give you as much stress into the knees but it allows you to avoid pressure in the area of the screws and may be a good preparation pose for eventually sitting on your heels.