question about yin and patellofemoral syndrome

Check here for posts regarding knees and Yin Yoga
Annelise Piers

Post by Annelise Piers »

Bernie, I have a client who has patellofemoral syndrome --- her hata teacher sent her to me for hip flexibility. My understanding is that she needs more quads strengthening, and I'm wondering if yin would be contraindicated or what would you do to still get into the hip without compromising the legs?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Annelise

As usual, I would first ask what her doctor says (not what her yoga teacher says.) I am a bit confused by the focus on the hip if the problem is the kneecap tracking. That could be due to a tight IT band, but also many other things. So, second question: what is causing her patellofemoral syndrome (which usually refers to a mis-tracking of the kneecap.)

Have you seen the old YouTube video by Doctor Jo? I found it interesting, even though it is a series of yang exercises.

To answer your basic question though of how to work the hips without stressing the knees, yes - it is possible. Flexion of the hips can be done with Caterpillar; Extension with Supported Bridge or Seal. Would she be comfortable with Dragons? That could also do extension. Abduction can be done with Straddle fold but maybe not Butterfly. The more challenging directions may be internal and external rotations. Maybe Butterfly can work for ext. rot. and maybe windshield wipers for int. rot, but go slow with those. Try a little, and pay attention!

Good luck!
Annelise Piers

Post by Annelise Piers »

Bernie, the story is that this student wants to 'conquer' the lotus pose (I have counselled her about respecting the body' limitations and the need to stabilize the knee and strengthen the quads for her safety.

I'm excited to work with her to teach her how to adapt her yoga for her body.

I totally hear you about having her doctor's opinion here. Her restrictions are in butterfly, pigeon (of course only because she wants to get her shin in line with the front of her mat).

I will keep your guidance in mind. Thank you, Bernie. As always.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Conquer Lotus pose? That is a high risk, low reward posture. I could say a lot more why this can be a very unwise choice, but I have already done that in this article called Lotus Pose: Destroyer of Disease, or Destroyer of Knees?.

Cheers
Annelise Piers

Post by Annelise Piers »

Thank you for both, Dr. Jo's link and the one to your article. I've sent them on to her too.

Today we did toe squat and ankle stretch, malasana. Then went onto our backs for supported butterfly and took wall support for reclining swan and happy baby.

I hope she begins to see the value of working poses to suit her body.

Ever so grateful for your wisdom.