total hysterectomy and SI problems

There are often many questions about Yin Yoga and specific spinal conditions. Feel free to ask your question here, or check out other posts or contribute input from your own experience.
debra Klein

total hysterectomy and SI problems

Post by debra Klein »

Does anyone have information about the connection between unstable SI joints and hysterectomy? I have had SI problems, but they seem to be worse since my surgery.
Bernie

Not a yoga question

Post by Bernie »

Hi - your question is not specific to yoga nor Yin Yoga, so I am not sure why you are asking it here, but I can imagine that you are looking for any help you can find. I would suggest you check with a qualified physiotherapist and get a first hand opinion, which would be more appropriate for your situation than an internet view. If you can't find any qualified physios near by, perhaps you can read the work of Eric Dalton or seek him out in some way. He is extremely knowledgeable about sacral issues.

Good luck!
Bernie
debra Klein

Post by debra Klein »

The reason I am asking about SI instability in this forum, is because I have been practice Yin Yoga and have found that it seems to increase the SI instability and back/hip pain. I am an instructor in the Satyananda tradition and am interested in the connection between hysterectomy and SI instability for that reason as well. I will check out the work of Eric Dalton. Thanks for your input.
Bernie

sacral instability

Post by Bernie »

Yes, Yin Yoga (like any exercise) can be too much for some situations. If you have sacral instability, you may want to explore - first realigning the sacrum (again see Dalton for this as it is a very complicated area), and then - second strengthen the area muscularly. Yang yoga poses that may help could include plank on elbows (crocodile), gentle locusts and balancing cats (cat with one arm stretched out and the opposite leg stretched back). If just one sacroiliac joint is tight while the other lax you can use Yin Yoga on the tight side and Yang yoga on the loose side.

Good luck!