Hypokyphosis

There are often many questions about Yin Yoga and specific spinal conditions. Feel free to ask your question here, or check out other posts or contribute input from your own experience.
Shannon

Hypokyphosis

Post by Shannon »

Hi everyone and Bernie!!

I have a student who appears to be hypo kyphotic with very little curvature in the thoracic spine. He reports mild pain in low back when carrying loads.

In a yin class I'm not too sure what to recommend to this student. More flexion??

Any thoughts would be helpful!!

Thank you!
Shannon Donovan
Bernie

Yin Yoga for hypokyphosis

Post by Bernie »

The first question I would have is - what does his doctor say? Yoga teachers are not therapists and we should not be expected to diagnose problems nor suggest prescriptions. There could be many causes of this student's lack of thoracic curve (genetics, disease, neurological problems, osteoporosis, accident, etc.) Unless you know the cause, it is hard to prescribe a cure. So, first thing is to refer the student to a professional and then follow her advice.

If the student doesn't know and won't seek professional advice, you could default to the old idea that "if the spine has too little curve, lets build more" and thus assign lots of upper body flexion postures. Butterfly, Caterpillar, etc. But, don't forget the spine needs to move in all directions, so building extension mobility and twists/side bends are also important. An overall spinal flow may be helpful. But, regardless of the postures, teaching students to pay attention to sensations is the most important gift you can give them. Keep reminding him to pay attention, notice what he is experiencing, especially if any pain arises while in the pose, coming out of the pose or over the next day or two. Through trial and error he may be able to determine the right approach for his body.

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers
Bernie